Tik Tok Craze

The application Tik Tok has become very popular within the past year, ranking #1 in free mobile apps on Apple devices with over 100 million users.

The app is owned by a Chinese company named ByteDance and was launched in 2017 for iOS and Android users outside of China.

Users on the app get very creative with the various song and dance selections they can post on their accounts.

The app allows you to follow other users (called “Tik-Tokers”) and gain your own followers. If a Tik Tok interests you, you could “heart” a video, saving it to your account.

Users can search up categories of videos that they may be interested in watching, and look through trending hashtags on their feeds. The app also shows recommended videos on the “For You Page” based off videos that you have hearted and users you have followed.  

Alfred Baione, sophomore at World Journalism Preparatory School, said, “It’s a great app to use, I find it amusing to watch Tik Toks. I don’t make my own, though.”

“It’s pretty entertaining, a lot of the posts are relatable and overall just funny. It could be used to pass time whenever you’re bored,” said WJPS junior Julian Duran.

However, some people have negative views on the app, not seeing the thrill of it as others may do. WJPS senior Maria Liontos said, “I find the app pointless, in all honesty. I find it very immature and don’t see the point of it.”